WEBSITE ADDRESS: STRATHCONA REGIONAL DISTRICT JUNE 25TH 2009 MEETING MINUTES
|Director Whalley declared a conflict of interest and left the meeting at 11:25 a.m.
Alternate Director Glover entered the meeting at 11:25 a.m.
|PUBLIC HEARING MINUTES – BYLAW NO. 29 (GREIG SEAFOOD BC LTD)|
|Abram/Leigh: THAT the Regional District Board receive the public hearing minutes dated May 27, 2009 and submissions to the public hearing for Bylaw No. 29 being ‘Quadra Island Zoning Bylaw, 1990, Amendment No. 95" (Greig Seafood (BC) Ltd.). [Item]|
|Public hearing submissions:|
|Public hearing binder submissions (file 1 of 7); [Item]|
|Public hearing binder submissions (file 2 of 7); [Item]|
|Public hearing binder submissions (file 3 of 7); [Item]|
|Public hearing binder submissions (file 4 of 7); [Item]|
|Public hearing binder submissions (file 5 of 7); [Item]|
|Public hearing binder submissions (file 6 of 7); [Item]|
|Public hearing binder submissions (file 7 of 7); [Item]|
|Public hearing submissions in support (file 1 of 2); [Item]|
|Public hearing submissions in support (file 2 of 2); [Item]|
|Public hearing submissions in support comment sheets (file1 of 1); [Item]|
|Public hearing submissions in support comment sheets (file 1 of 1); [Item]|
|Public hearing submissions in opposition (file 1 of 2); [Item]|
|Public hearing submissions in opposition (file 2 of 2); [Item]|
|Public hearing submissions in opposition comments sheets (file 1 of 2); [Item]|
|Public hearing submissions (file 1 of 1); and [Item]|
|Public hearing submissions information submitted (file 1 of 1). [Item]|
BYLAWS AND RESOLUTIONS:
|Abram/N. Anderson: THAT Bylaw No 29 being ‘Quadra Island Zoning Bylaw, 1990, Amendment No. 95" (Grieg Seafood (BC) Ltd. be amended at third reading by:
Approving only the site at Gunner Point;
AND FURTHER THAT Grieg Seafood (BC) Ltd. voluntarily include in its Fisheries and Oceans Canada "Authorization Agreement", the following:
1. The timing of introduction of fish and harvesting of fish from their pens will be done to further minimize the potential impact of farm fish on wild fish in Sunderland Channel and the introduction will have smolts of the same generation entered in the same year. This allows for coordinated production, fish health management, and
2.(a) The juvenile fish will be "lice free". During the production cycle, lice levels on the farm will be managed in strict compliance with the Provincial Sea Lice Action Plan with the intent of establishing near zero levels for the harvest period prior to the smolt out migration. Any and all lice treatments will be managed by a licensed veterinarian;
(b) Hatchery juveniles (smolts) will be entered into the farm site between March 15th and May 31st beginning in 2010. A typical production cycle is approximately 22 months, so young fish will be entered to sea every second year on even years (2010, 2012, 2014, etc.). Entry of smolts in late spring from freshwater (and therefore free of lice) removes the risk of lice ransmission from the Gunner farm populations to wild salmon smolts during even year migration periods;
(c) At the end of each production cycle (i.e. beginning in 2012) harvesting will be complete by March 1st, removing adult farm fish from the sea before the smolt outmigration period and thus removing the risk of lice transmission from harvest fish to wild smolt during their out-migration in odd years;
(d) Increased fish health management precautions will be undertaken in the form of the use of a newly developed vaccine against IHN, an endemic viral disease found in sockeye.
3. THAT as a standard practice, extensive and ongoing monitoring of sea lice on wild salmon will be carried out among the wild migration routes in the proximity of this site
4. THAT all data gathered be publicly available.
5. THAT the program for lighting where underwater lights will not be used from March 1st to June 30th, during the smolt outmigration period will be adopted. The impact of these lights on wild fish is not well researched and, until such time as research has been completed, Grieg Seafood (BC) Ltd. will employ the precautionary principle and avoid their use in Sunderland Channel.
AND FURTHER THAT a separate ‘Letter of Undertaking’ be provided by Grieg Seafood (BC) Ltd.stating:
1. THAT the site will be converted to closed containment technology as soon as it is commercially available.
2. AND THAT the condition of providing the ‘Letter of Undertaking’ will be met by Grieg Seafood Ltd. prior to final adoption of bylaw No. 29.
3. AND THAT should the producers of the containment technology require a test site/pilot project, the Regional District Board would encourage that this site be selected for that purpose.
AND FINALLY THAT Bylaw No. 29 being "Quadra Island Zoning Bylaw, 1990, Amendment No. 95" (Grieg Seafood (BC) Ltd.) be given third reading as amended. [Item]
|Section 791(2), 791(3), 791(13)||CARRIED|
|Alternate Director Glover left meeting at 11:57 a.m.
Director Whalley returned to the meeting at 11:57 a.m.